Tuesday, March 16, 2010

One step forward, two steps back


It was beautiful outside today! Caddie and I got out for a run on the Monon Trail, which is truly our happy place. After taking a lot of time off from outdoor running this winter due to illness and a bitterly cold winter with lots of snow, she and I both have some work to do! Here's a picture of her rockin' the trail!

Yesterday's success with Franklin and Linus was bittersweet. Not long after I updated, I found a couple of washcloths that I thought had been placed out of reach of a certain pair of four-legged critters, pulled down on the floor with a mess inside! It seems that the boys have no problem peeing in the toilet, but their instinct to bury their other business is still there. I'm not going to get discouraged though. Per the advice of fellow cat trainers, I've backed up a step and I'm proceeding cautiously. I poured all of the water out of the pan and replaced it with a small amount of litter. I'll try this for a couple of days and see if they're ready to advance this weekend.
I've also read that it may help to provide a way for your cats to "scratch" after they've used the potty, thus easing them into the whole no burying thing. I'm contemplating taping a small piece of sandpaper on the front of the toilet seat so they have something to paw at. I know this seems like a lot of thought and work, but never having to scoop a litter box again would be well worth it!
Emma is with us for two more days. The poor baby is still nervous and having trouble eating. At my mom's, she likes to eat in a confined space, away from everyone else. I've tried isolating her in the laundry room and in her kennel box, but neither of these seem to be working. I was starting to worry since she hadn't eaten since Saturday, so I put out some extra cat food before going to bed last night. Lo and behold, I found an empty bowl this morning. Perhaps she just prefers Meow Mix to dog food.

No comments:

Post a Comment