Sunday, April 4, 2010

Two green thumbs up!


It's gardening season at the 1543 and we couldn't be happier! Getting my hands dirty, growing tasty, healthy food, and making my yard beautiful puts a smile on my face. The garden is full of broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, kale, beets, rhubarb, lettuce, asparagus, leeks, and onions right now. I can't wait to eat them! I've also expanded my blueberry patch from one bush to three this year. I won't get any berries from the two new bushes this year, but my efforts will pay off soon! Inside, I'm starting strawberries, tomatoes, peppers, herbs, watermelon, and sqaush. I don't usually have a lot of luck starting seeds inside, but I got a great idea from a friend and I'm hoping it works out--I planted the seeds in one of those little plastic "greenhouses" and placed a heating pad on the lowest setting underneath it. This keeps the seeds nice and toasty and they are off to a rockin' start already.


The yard is looking beautiful too! I have tulips coming up all over the place--a sure sign of spring. I also re-did some flower beds around the yard and they look very nice. My next big project is to re-do the hill in my front yard. I'd like to till up the grass and put down a bed of rocks and creeping phlox. It's one of my favorite flowers. Not to mention that it would really cut down on how much I have to mow...


Check out Caddie, cheesin' by the tulips. She wants to spend all of her time outside these days. The cats have even gotten to explore the great outdoors recently, although they're a little more apprehensive. The backyard is our little oasis!

1 comment:

  1. you HAVE to talk to Josh. he's been going mad crazy (much to my benefit!) in our yard...it looks amazing. Phlox is his new favorite thing. The only food we have so far is a blackberry bush at my request. And as always, love the pup pic!

    ReplyDelete